HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Paul Demers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 01:26:06 -0700
While completing a dissertation on material expressions of "Canadian"
versus "U.S." identities along the Canada-U.S. border prior to the 1860s, I
have run into a snag with the so-called "13 star" clay pipes. The motif I
have encountered is an embossed "TD" surrounded by 13 "stars" on the bowl.
Some articles even refer to specimens with as few as 12, or as many as 14
of this "star" motif.

There are numerous references to this motif in contexts dating from the
late 1830s through the 1870s. Yet, while I have consulted Walker (1977),
and many other works, I have not found a single example with a diagnostic
maker's mark.  My kingdom for a "McDougall", "Henderson", "Bannerman", or
"....Scotland", etc., on the stem.

From an iconographic standpoint, this symbol has been interpreted as a
reference to the original "13 colonies" of the United States.  I suspect
that British or Canadian manufacturers may have capitalized on U.S.
patriotic sentiment in the same manner as Staffordshire ceramic
manufacturers, as described by Neil Ewins, Susan Detweiler, and Marian
Klamkin, among others.  Yet, this motif also seems to be fairly common on
Canadian sites of the period as well.  One might even question the extent
to which various consumers were concerned about the motifs on the pipes
they smoked.

Certainly, British or Canadian use of this motif did not preclude the
relatively small U.S. clay pipe industry from using it as well. I would
appreciate any information or interpretations on this motif, and especially
examples with an identifiable maker's mark.

Sincerely,

Paul A. Demers
Department of Anthropology
Michigan State University