Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 12:49:56 -0500
From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Normally, the gap between when I first listen to a CD and when I review
it is months, if not years.  However, occasionally I come across something
that falls under the category of "can't-miss," and what with the major
labels' propensity to delete their classical catalogues (dubbed by
somebody, the "scorched earth" policy) I want to let people know right
away.

The CD is DG 449 744-2, from "The Originals" series.  Sviatislav Richter
plays the horrendously difficult Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 5, the Piano
Sonata No. 8, and three of the Visions fugitives.

The first recording I bought with my own money was Richter's account of
the Rachy 2, Kurt Sanderling (I think) conducting.  I bought it without
knowing anything about Richter.  I had to ask the friend (a pianist) who
was with me whether this guy was any good.  Instead of calling me a woeful
ignoramus, he told me I'd probably like it.  I loved that album to death,
unfortunately, and my record player in those days was never all that good.
I remember an epic interpretation and a tinny sound.

Richter CDs were better, but I was completely unprepared for what hit me
when I played this one.  The first thing I did was dive for the volume
control, except it wasn't everything that assaulted my ear, but Richter.
I have never heard a piano tone so big or an attack so powerful.  At times,
I thought he would break strings.  On the other hand, this wasn't merely a
bangarama.  Indeed, Richter didn't seem to be banging the keys at all, and
there were plenty of delicate, lyrical moments as well.  The Sonata No. 8
was more modulated, but even here one finds shattering climaxes and intense
singing.

"Wow" says just about everything.

The CD is now available from BMG Music Service, http://bmgmusicservice.com,
probably at a considerable reduction of price from other online sources.
BMG Order #: D120396

Steve Schwartz

 [It can also be had at Amazon online at:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001GXD/classicalnetA/

 -Dave]