Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:56:28 -0400
From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>...will certainly seek out more.  I've ordered a disc of orchestral works
>(BIS CD-1027): Prillar and the Sun God Symphony, conducted by Ole Ruud.

'Just got this yesterday:  last copy at my local store.  I guess Bis must
be glad about the Naxos release.

This one's every bit as pleasing as the PCs.  These are both 1990s
restorations from fire- and water-damaged scores and an old recording of
the symphony.  In fact, according to the liner notes, since the 1970 fire
"...many works have since been found elsewhere or reconstucted." Indeed,
for anyone who's interested here are a few more CDs of Tveitt's music:

Hundrad Hardingtonar (A Hundred Folk-tunes from Hardanger), Op.151:  Suites
No.1:  Nos.1-15; and No.2:  Nos.16-30.  (Stavanger Symphony Orchestra
conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud.  T.  time:  72'43) BIS-CD-987

Concerto for Piano and Orchestra #3, op.  126 (Hommage a Brahms); Piano
Sonata #29, op 129 (Sonata etere); Eolsharpa; Morild.  (Geirr Tveitt,
piano; Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Albert Wolff) PSC 1805

Suite #1 from A Hundred Folk Tunes from Hardanger, op.  151; Concerto for
Harp and Orchestra #2; Nykken/Water Sprite.  (Turid Kniejski, harp; Royal
Philharmonic Orchestra, Peter Dreier) PSC 3108

Music for Piano:  Twelve Two-part Inventions in the Lydian, Dorian and
Phrygian Modes, op 1; Piano Sonata #29, op 129; Danse du Soleil, op 91 no.
15.  (Geir Botnen, piano) PSC 1121

50 Folk Tunes from Hardanger, Op 150.  (Geir Botnen, piano; Reidun Horvei,
song [sic]) PSC 1132 (2 CDs)

Piano Sonata #29 op 139; Concerto #2 for Hardanger Fiddle and Orchestra
(Kjell Baekkelund, piano; Sigbjorn Berhhoft Osa, Hardanger fiddle; Bergen
Philharmonic Orchestra, Karsten Andersen) NCD-B 4945

There's also some Tveitt on the Marco Polo label; at least one CD, I'm sure;
piano music, I think.

If your special orders person draws a blank about the non-Bis items, I'd
start a search via http://www.edna.no/ It's a Norwegian music store I was
led to a few months ago by the Director of Information at the Norwegian
Information Centre:

http://www.mic.no/ Very nice lady; helps put out "Listen to Norway," a
very sharp music magazine.  In its Vol 4, of 1996, they featured an
excellent article on Tveitt's '100 Hardanger Folktunes' (really 60, since
some were lost in that 1970 fire).  The composition apparently resulted
from a Bartok-like tour of his country's villages whereby he managed to
capture their folk music after many others had failed.  Apparently for this
composition and for his PCs Tveitt was praised by Florent Schmitt and Nadia
Boulanger in the post-War period.

The catalogue booklet for the Hemera and Aurora labels, which lists the
last CD above, provides this URL:  http://www.notam.uio.no/nkf/nkf.html.
The Simax catalogue was my source for the CDs with the PSC prefix, above.
'Last I saw, they didn't have a site, but their address was
mailto:[log in to unmask]

No, I don't work for any of these sources.

Delightful music, what I've got of it.  He's incredibly inventive at
crafting variations and reworking musical cells, and only rarely verges
on the overinsistent.

Good luck.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa