Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 23:16:06 +1200
From:
Stuart Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Don Satz wrote:

>"Wow" is just how I felt when learning of all the organ music Pachelbel
>wrote.  He's a great example of the hazards of thinking that some composers
>were essentially one-work wonders.  Pachelbel's organ music is great stuff
>and would likely be treasured by those who love Bach's organ music.

He rather tends to be overshadowed by Bach who was his younger contemporary
but I am also astonished at the volume of his output a lot of which is not
well known but in fact which deserves to be so.

>...  Over the coming months, my intent is to buy them all and then do a
>little review project.

I will look forward to this review.  However I will probably go for the
Naxos.  $12 in New Zealand at Borders for this.

>What most impresses me at this point is how wonderful this organ music
>sounds to me.  I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing the
>Canon again,

Couldn't agree more.  It is one of those overdone pieces and in some places
in New Zealand tends to get played as muzak.

>but I think that the organ music is where Pachelbel's real strengths
>reside.  Also, the recordings by each of the artists I mention above are
>very enjoyable.  I have heard some complaining about Bouchard not being
>sufficiently vibrant, but I consider his performances to have much stature
>and depth.

I look forward to obtaining the first Naxos release and savouring this
music with pleasure and discovering for me a not too well known composer
apart from his canon.  Regards

Stuart Sinclair