Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:40:27 -0400
From:
Edward Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Alex Canto <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>If a recording company were to do an encyclopedia of violin playing
>in this century (similar to the Philips Great Pianists project), who
>do think should be included? Obvious choices are Heifetz, D.  Oistrach,
>Grumiaux, Szigeti, Milstein, Menuhin, Suk.  Probably more controversial
>are Oleg Kagan, Perlman, Kremer, Andrew Manze, Gyorgy Pauk, Isaac Stern.

Let us not forget Jan Kubelik, who may not be an 'obvious' choice,
for his playing is sometimes raw and unpolished (which is part of the
charm of his artistry, IMO).  The best epithet for Kubelik is, I believe,
'muscular'.  He treated the violin the way Hendrix treated the guitar,
and the way Francis Bacon treated Nature -- as something we need to torture
in order to force it to give up its secrets or hidden possibilities.
Kubelik's surviving recordings can be heard on a 1990 Biddulph CD (LAB
033-34) entitled "Jan Kubelik:  The Acoustic Recordings (1902-13)." I'd
like to hear other comments on Kubelik, if any here are familiar with his
work.

Also, if it had not been for Ysaye, the violinistic art would never have
developed in the manner it did, during the course of the 20th century,
for better or worse.  To me, Heifetz represents the worst, and Grumiaux
the best, of the developments of what is (technically) still our century.
Heifetz discarded passion and musicality for speed and precision, while
Grumiaux gives forth a grace and elegance that turned even insipid
compositions into grand expressions of the human soul.  Grumiaux's
interpretation of Bach's Solo Sonatas and Partitas is head and shoulders
above that of Heifetz.

Regards,

Edward