From:
michael palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:28:09 -0400
Bob & Liz wrote:

>  Although there are many ways to keep bees and Michael has had success with
> the above method I see no reason why when the bees cluster the queens
> wouldn't be left to chill. Clustering around a queen in a cage happens but
> returning to the main cluster when the temperature drops is the natural
> response.

I don't know why it works, but it does. The queens don't get chilled. They're
even alive long after the attendants have died.

> As for the queens still alive until November. I don't understand leaving a
> queen caged any longer than necessary.

I don't leave queens in the bank any longer than I have to. Sometimes I have a
few left over, and it isn't worth it to find a home for them. All my nuc boxes
are full, and I've requeened everything I can. I left these in the bank to see
how long they would live.