From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 16:49:56 EDT
I recently received a solicitation from something called the Nutrition Action
Newsletter. It bills itself as a sort of Consumer Reports focusing on foods.
A marketing insert touts 10 of their most "shocking" revelations, and lists
them. Top of the list No. 1:
Quaker 100% Natural Oats & Honey Granola
The write-up begins rhetorically with this: "Does Mother Nature want you
eating half a cup of oats coated with three teaspoons of sugar laden with
more artery clogging fat than you'd get in a McDonald's hamburger?"
I've been looking for this product on my local store shelves to answer the
following question: Does it have any honey in it at all?
I gather from previous threads about labels that you must truthfully
represent what the contents are of your product, but then I read in another
part of the Nutrition Action material about this:
"Although Aunt Jemima Blueberry Waffles, judging from the picture on the box,
appear to contain real blueberries, in fact the product contains only
"blueberry bits" made of sugar, fat, artificial flavor and color."
Aren't the manufacturers here in violation of the U.S. label laws?