From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:00:16 -0700
"David L. Green" wrote:

> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> << During August and September last year in central North Carolina (Sampson
>  Country for you that know NC)my bees collected some near black honey.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>    There are other blossoms. I sometimes get a small flow in August off
> logged over woods, which I call "brush honey."

Arizona - especially along "waterways", which are often dry on the surface - gets
lots of tamarisk honey (Athel tree) from July to Sept.. This is a dark honey with
a reflected surface shine like motor oil (greenish). It has a pronounced alum
taste, but the bees like it for winter fuel.  The close relative of those big
trees is the brushy "salt-cedar", which blooms in April, and helps bees build up
early. These trees are from north Africa, and will grow many places in very salty
situations - I even heard from a relative in Great Britain that he had seen them
near the "beach" at Brighton, almost in the ocean spray. They were often planted
by homesteaders here because of the deep roots and dense shade they provide.
Older ones' trunks can be several feet in diameter.