From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 10:37:17 -0600
Hello Michael & All,
I also am hoping a cure for varroa will be found other than chemicals!
Denis Andersons work looks hopeful also.  One has to be skeptical as the
Yugo's didn't stop varroa and so far the "Russian queens" have not been the
answer we have been looking for.
Many researchers said at the start of the varroa & tracheal mite problems
that A.meliferia will solve the problem in the end and not the researchers.
Example:
When tracheal mites first hit the U.S. we had huge loses.  Now many
beekeepers don't treat for tracheal mites and although infestations are
always in their bees the infestations allways remain low and the bees and
tracheal mites coexist.  The phenomenon is to widespread for *commercial
tracheal mite resistant queens* to have been the reason.  Many researchers
have said from the very start that eventually A.melifera would adapt to
varroa.  Is what Harbo & Anderson are seeing the start of natures way of
dealing with varroa?
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

Subject: Re: SMR Bees
Bob Harrison wrote: "I am VERY skeptical he has found A. melifera on which
 *varroa females will not reproduce*."
Michael wrote:
 Scepticism is good.  If John Harbo's results can be duplicated, THEN come
 the hallalooya's.  Here's hoping.