HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:02:42 -0400
Julie,

        Bill is correct CRCG excavated a physician's privy in New Brunswick,
New Jersey that was probably filled in the early 1880s.  It was
published in Northeast Historical Archaeology, Vol. 25:33-50 (1996) as a
ray of sunshine in the sickroom.  The syringes were primarily large and
ungraduated.  Some of them may have been quite old when deposited as
Clifford Morrogh, the physician they are associated with began using
anesthetics on his patients in 1848.  None of the syringes retained
their needles, but given their age it is possible that the doctor used a
lancet to create an opening for the syringe.

        For more on syringes you might check:

Haller, John S.
        1981    Hypodermic Medication, Early History. New York State            Journal of
Medicine 81:1671-1679.

Howard-Jones, Norman
        1947    A Critical Study of the Origins and Early Development of
Hypodermic Medicine. Jorunal of the History of Medicine                 and Allied
Sciences 2:201-249.

I believe that Jean Howsen had some syringes at her Sullivan Street
excavations in NYC.  Milner also had some from 19th-century NYC sites.

Good luck with your research.

Rich Veit