HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"James G. Gibb" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:36:57 -0400
Fellow HistArchers:
Rick Affleck has expressed concern over those 'storytellers' who have
played "fast and loose with the data."  If memory serves, all of those
scholars who tried their hand at various storyteller techniques and
published the outcomes have based their work on agency-reviewed
technical reports.

Several of the principal troublemakers in this area--and I won't mention
their names but they are associated with Sonoma State University--have
produced a very nice series of publications on their work on a dam
project (no attempt at humor here) that includes the technical reports,
a synthesis, and a volume of not-so-tall tales. I recommend the series
for unbelievers.

Jim Gibb