HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 18:36:49 -0400
Bob,

I am sure you feel the radio was a war souvenir, but the property is only a
short distance from sensitive U.S. Navy and U.S. Army bases and was within
view of 65 reported foreign submarine sightings during World War II. The man
who lived in the house lived there during World War II and did not serve in
the military. I lived a block away during the 1950s. Sure, the radio and
antennae were circumstantial. So were the stack of 1945 newspapers used to
completely cover and surround the radio under the house. It was the
newspapers that led me to believe the man hid them when the war ended. Why
would a soldier bring a large German radio back from the war and hide it
under his house within months of the end of the war in Europe? War souveniers
were kept around the house for years as conversation pieces and traded, sold
and swapped among veterans. Personally, I think this is an important artifact
with important historic context.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.