HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:26:22 -0500
Folks-

Just to present an alternative voice regarding ceramic formula dates (or
similar methods applied to other sorts of datable materials) - I, for one,
have found such dates useful in analyzing depositional and site formation
processes, particularly of urban features such as wells and privies, whose
stratigraphy is entirely or largely "artificial."  I also find artifact
function analysis (AKA South pattern analysis or what prehistorians
sometimes call the "debris profile") of use as well.  See the article that
Jeanne and I have in the recent "privies issue" of HA for details and
qualifiers on these broad generalizations.

Cheers,
John

John P. McCarthy, RPA
Annapolis, MD