HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:10:14 -0700
Paul Webb asked:

> I have been trying to locate agricultural census schedules for 1900-1920
> (for North Carolina), but am having no luck and have been told by several
> people that they no longer exist.  Can anyone on the list confirm this or
> provide other information; these schedules don't appear to be included on
> the NARA website . ..

        I cannot speak for the agricultural schedules, but I suspect they
fall into the same category as the maufactory schedules which are
routinely destroyed (although I cannot remember the timing for the
destruction).

        I wanted the manufactory schedules because they contain important
information about individual businesses.  When I wrote the national
archives, I was informed that they were destroyed except for those
from 1931 and 1933.  These were preserved because of thier relevance
to that rather disastrous period of U S history.  The agricultual
schedules for the period may also still exist, although it sounds
like those may be too late (chronologically) for your project.

        I got my information several years ago when I was not using the
internet, so I have no good suggestions as to how to find that
information using more current means.  If anyone has suggestions,
please post them.  I have been out of touch with the archives for
several years but could apply those schedules to some other histories
I am researching.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
New Mexico State University