HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jennifer Nord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 19:46:04 -0600
>Most contract work is pretty much limited to professionals here,
>but there are still a significant number of important, informative
projects
>(major excavations, thematic surveys, etc.) falling outside the realm
>of CRM that offer opportunities to the general public to become
involved
>in archaeology.

Even within the realm of CRM, the consulting firm I work for often
receives contracts from Native bands.  We always make sure that the
community is involved as much as possible which involves hiring local
youth to participate.  The students are paid either through the project
or by the Band Council, gain valuable work experience, and learn about
the "ins and outs" of archaeological surveys.  With few exceptions,
everyone finds it a very positive experience.

Jennifer Nord

Vice-President,
Manitoba Anthropology Students' Association