HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
LOCKHART BILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 14:46:14 -0700
        It seems that once again, we are somewhat divided into two camps.  I
tend to lean towarads the side that recommends compassion for
suffering students and unemployed archaeologists because it was not
so long ago that I fell into the category of migratory
archaeologist/nomadic faculty--whomever was willing to pay at the
time.  Now that I am comfortably ensconsed in a tenure track teaching
job at a two-year institution, I have become an ardent advocate for
students rights and needs.

        However, it would be interesting to know how many of us in
compassion category actually must deal with the onslaught of
unsolicited applications faced by those in a management role.  It
could be that the opinions are divided along lines of occupational
role.  The situation may look different if you do not have to
constantly deal with the problem.

Bill

Bill Lockhart
New Mexico State University