HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"James G. Gibb" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:30:07 -0500
Lee Bennett wrote:
Fellow HISTARCHers:
Does "To whom it may concern" render you receptive to an inquirer?

I've always encouraged folks to find out who "To Whom" is before sending
a letter of inquiry and resume, whether applications are solicited or
not. I also insist that those asking me to serve as referee provide the
name of the company's principal, the department's chair, or head of
search committee.

On a related matter, I rarely respond to unsolicited applications,
regardless of how they are addressed, unless I actually need somebody. I
don't intend to be rude, but there are times--and we are rapidly
approaching one, the end of the Spring semester--when so many arrive in
the mail that it would monopolize too much of my time to answer. If
requested, however, I pass on applications to other prospective
employers.

Jim Gibb
Annapolis, MD