HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 08:51:07 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes
> Some time ago someone had a query about the Dutch word
>'beerput'.
That was me.  It wasn't so much a query as a bad and complex joke.  I
was giving a reference to a Dutch article about a beerput .... and I
happened to observe that a 'beerput' is 'a place to put used beer'.

I shall probably find out now that only the English refer to urine as
'used beer'.  The ensuing discussion of vocabulary will probably
strengthen the belief that we in Britain, and me in particular, are
obsessed with toilets.

It's not just us.  Over on h-urban, there is someone 'looking for any
work that has been done on the history and
development of municipal public comfort stations in the 1880s
through the 1920s as part of the public health movement and
sanitary engineering.'

With best wishes to all,

Pat
(allegedly doing end-of-year grant drawdowns, conscious that she owes
people emails ...)
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)