HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ned heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 06:43:52 -0500
At 11:25 AM +0000 2/5/02, david galletti wrote:
>I don't think Britian was exporting wood per se. I suspect there is a grey
>area between the export of completely pre-fabricated buildings and of
>architectural components, e.g. iron frameworks etc.

Okay. Britain exported lots of architectural hardware elements.
Maybe you need to go to the receiving areas' libraries and look for
trade catalogues. I recall many years ago when I was researching
pressed tinplate architectural elements, you caould buy the internal
and external skins of building elements, which fit together in a
modular fashion we know quite well today.  In the case of tinplate,
you could put together a building from the catalogue.
--
* If we could recycle bad ideas and political*
* nonsense, the world would be three feet    *