HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 08:48:01 -0500
What about mirror glass? 18th century sites in Kentucky usually have very
small quantities of glass of any kind, but a few fragments of flat glass
(usually clear or light green) occasionally turn up. Probate inventories of
the time period often mention "looking glasses" as one of the very few
glass items in the household. Since the backing has never been preserved on
any of the very few flat glass artifacts I have from undisputed late 18th
century sites, I have never been comfortable making an unequivocal i.d. for
mirror glass but it seems like a distinct possibility to me. Does anyone
know of any thickness data taken on 18th century and later mirrors?