Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Gavin Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:04:17 -0000
Hi Allen

>The SMR mechanism was not explained, but the method of selection was.

As I remember from his papers there are at least two types.  Remember that
in the Varroa life cycle, a mother lays one male egg and one or more female
ones.  The male does not survive outside the sealed cell.  Females mate with
their brother before the cell is opened.  In one type of SMR, the female
mites are unfertilised, or poorly fertilised - here the mechanism could be
that the male mites do not thrive on these bees and are not as fertile as
they should be.  So, daughter mites do not reproduce as they carry defective
sperm or none at all.  In this type, if colonies are made up experimentally
with an SMR queen but non-SMR workers and their mites, the SMR trait builds
up over a few brood cycles as the mites go through their reproductive cycles
and the old mites that arrived (already fertilised) in the experimental
colony die off.  John Harbo and colleagues also saw SMR expressing in the
first brood cycle in at least one experiment, so this must arise from a
different mechanism.

>Harbo simply pulls out 200 worker pupae that are a little past the eye
>colour stage and examines them for mites.  The SMR bees will have only the
>(prospective) mother mite(s) -- and no offspring attached.  An obvious

Allen - the experiments I read about were all with worker brood.  Did he
discuss whether drone brood in SMR bees also suppressed mites?

>anti-varroa powers, but not a lot.  However, please note that there are no
>claims made for hygienic  behaviour in Harbo's stock, and there are no
>claims made about other desirable traits either.  His SMR bees simply do
not
>support varroa reproduction.  Period.

Some of the bees he used showed multiple resistance traits.  I will attach
two abstracts at the end of this email.

>incorporate this trait into their lines.  It is also possible that breeders
>will simply identify this trait in their existing lines and select for
it --
>assuming that it is not strongly linked to some unacceptable
characteristic.

Let's do it!

Gavin.

Title: Honey bees (Hymenoptera: Apidae) in the United States that express
resistance to Varroa jacobsoni (Mesostigmata: Varroidae).