Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 21:11:18 -0700
Greetings to all from the American Southwest and thanks to all of those out there providing informed discussion.  Having been exposed to beekeeping as a family affair during my childhood I am returning to the hive after settling down with my own family.

After spending hours scouring the  Bee-L archives I am struck by how much beekeeping has changed in the last 20 years (to which I am sure the old-timers will attest). Many new issues have arose such as the spread of mites, the introduction of the africanized hybrids into America, the fact that we can all email one another about bee related topics....... I could go on and on and on.

As I attempt to refresh my memories of the practical aspects of beekeeping from my childhood I find myself struggling with some of these new and unfamiliar challenges.   Though the Bee-L archives have been a great help, they are far from exhaustive.  Of course, the essentials of beekeeping remain the same.  However, I would really benefit from any recommendations for comprehensive texts on contemporary beekeeping practice: how and when to treat for what, warning signs of this and that.   I feel most uninformed about exactly how diseases are dealt with today. Technical refs are not intimidating.

Beyond that,  I find that beekeepers in my area are not doing anything to respond to africanized colonies which have been documented in all counties surrounding mine to the east, south, and west.  I was shocked to one individual routinely picking up swarms under these conditions without a suit (am I overreacting here?). Any feedback from those dealing with the AHB issue would be appreciated, particularly those in my region.

Thanks in advance!
Scott W.
New Mexico