From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:50:39 -0700
> That is a glib response, offensive not only to me but to the well-respected
> bee researchers from Germany, Italy, Switzerland and France...

Max, I want to apologise if I have offended you or any others.  That was
certainly not my intent, and maybe the writing was a bit glib.  I sometimes kid
around a bit.

I certainly respect the efforts you and many others have put into fighting
varroa  and in no way discount the work because some of it was done with funding
by a chemical company.  I respect the profit motive and think it is an important
engine of development.

> Especially when you
> don't seem to know or care about the reality of this situation - even
> 'though I have posted this on the LIST some time ago. I am really surprised
> at you.

Max, I will also confess right now to having a less-than-perfect memory and to
being influenced by the many versions of the story I have heard, especially
since they are repeated so often.  I will have to review the material and
perhaps revise my thinking when I have a moment.  Once again, I should likely
reiterate that this is a discussion list and what is written here -- by
anyone -- should be questioned and not mistaken for carefully researched fact.
Maybe your contributions are different, but I know the above is true of what I
write and would be very concerned if anyone swallowed any of my opinion pieces
whole.

Having said that, and although I am sure that you are probably as authoritative
as any man alive on the topic, that does not mean that your view or your
version, or your conclusions, or your methods are the only ones that are
credible.

As evidence, I can offer that varroa is still causing havoc.  We still can see a
day coming soon when we may very well have no effective and practical controls
available.  That to me proves that the job is not done, or was not done well.
I'm sorry, but that is just the way it seems to me.  I hope you can and will
prove me wrong.

Once again I apologise and hope you can show us that the problem was handled
correctly, is under control, and will stay that way.

allen

Opinions are not facts...