From:
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:15:10 +1100
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Tovey's cello concerto is being performed by the Jupiter Symphony (Jan.
>22&23 2001, Joel Krosnick, cello, Jens Nygaard, conductor.) I believe it
>will be on BBC radio 3 sometime this month (not the same performance,) but
>I forget when:(

Eric would expect me to point out that this mighty concerto (written for
Casals; whose historical version on Symposium is presumably the version
appearing on BBC radio...  only Casals & Moray Welsh have ever performed
the score in public) is one of the unheralded gems of both the 'cello &
the orchestral repertroire; & i know that the Jupiter Symphony have been
fighting with Schott - Tovey's hamfisted publishers - for the right to
perform the score for some time.  Clearly persistance has paid off....

Of course, i'm leaving for PRChina, HongKong & Macau/Aomen in 5 days time;
& won't hear either version.  If anyone wants me to say hello, feel free to
email....

All the best,
Robert Clements <[log in to unmask]>