From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2001 16:50:22 -0700
Edward Moore ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>My personal favorite of Mahler's is the 1st Symphony (the Titan).

The soubriquet "Titan" was only applied by Mahler to the 1893 (Weimer)
version, which has only been recorded a handful of times.

>The recording by Leonard Slatkin with the St. Louis SO is superb.  It is
>available on Telarc (CD-80066).  Happy listening!

De gustibus; I can't say I care for Slatkin's Mahler, well-recorded though
it is.  This recording, BTW, is not one of the few of the 1893 Titan.

Vicente Vida ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Stuart Sinclair wrote:
>
>>Could anyone help me with recommended recordings of the symphonies.
>
>I can only help you with the sixth.  My fauvorite one is Barbirolli with
>the London Symphony Orchestra (EMI 569349-2).

To be precise, the New Philharmonia.

FWIW my (rather outdated) survey of mahler recordings is now back online
at:

   http://turing.cs.camosun.bc.ca:8080/Mahler

Deryk Barker