Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 23:41:25 -0500
I gave up playing the violin almost twenty years ago, after having studied
for a good many years.  Modesty aside I was quite good then -- did a lot of
string quartet stuff (I particularly remember a wonderful time rehearsing
a quartet version of Chabrier's Espana), some county level chamber music
back in Gloucestershire and some solo work including the Bach A minor.

But that was twenty years ago.  Today a leased violin arrived here -- I
have decided to see if I can resurrect any of the talent I was blessed
with earlier and make some music instead of just writing about it -- and
listening, of course!  But I have a bit of a quandary.  I have deliberately
rented a fiddle for six months or so before deciding to shell out and buy
one.  I have some exercises to get me back into the habit and technique --
but I know I'm going to need something a little more substantial if I am
going to encourage myself sufficiently to get to the level at which I'm
comfortable performing with others again.

So, Listers -- any suggestions for music I should buy to help me along this
path? I guess I'm looking for brief sonatas or sonatinas (or similar pieces
for keyboard and violin) that are a) not too difficult b) tuneful enough to
reward study and practice and c) easily available through mail order.  I
would welcome any and all suggestions -- through the list or direct to my
e-mail address below.

Also -- if anybody knows whether there is a violin/piano version of the
Waltz No. 2 from the Shostakovich Jazz Suite available, I'd like to try
to pick that up too.

Thanks in advance.

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA