From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:21:26 -0600
Mark Ehlert wrote:

>For Telemann, I recommend also the works performed by Goebel/MAK
>(Tafelmusik, the wind concertos, Watermusik) found on the Archiv label.
>Il Giardino Armonico (Teldec) perform Vivaldi with all sorts of gusto; I
>recommend their "Four Seasons" (OOP?) and my recently acquired set of
>mandolin and lute concerti.  Definitely worth the money.

I must be equally bold and categorically disagree with both of Mark's
opinions here.  Goebel has made a career of playing everything entirely
too fast.  None of his music making has any settling point to it, rather,
it simply leaves one out of breath.  As for Il Giardino Armonico, their
professional wrestling style of music making is nothing short of a gimic.
That gusto is a thin veil for having nothing interesting to say through the
music.

Kevin Sutton