From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:05:58 -0400
In *Facing the Music,* former NY Times critic Harold Schonberg uses the
following in the beginning of one of the book's sections.  Can anyone tell
us about its origins and attribution? (I'm guessing Enrique Granados is the
composer.)

   "Enrique, do you know what is happening today? I mean these conductors
   with their little sticks.  They don't play, you know.  They stand in
   front of the orchestra waving their little sticks.  And they get paid
   for this, paid well, too.  Now suppose, Enrique, suppose there were
   no orchestra and they stood there alone.  Would they pay them just
   the same--them and their little sticks?"

   Pablo de Saraste to Enrique Granados

Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>