From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:03:38 EST
I just checked out the EMI Seraphim reissue of Mozart's Requiem with
Gonnenwein (hope I am spelling the name right).  The Mozart Requiem is
one of those pieces that I have obsessed over and am determined to pick
up multiple recordings of.  The Gonnenwein is one of the better ones that
I have heard.

In general, what is this conductors background and what other pieces
has he done well? In particular, I know that EMI has reissued some Bach
Cantatas with him conducting, how is this recording? I am trying to pick
up some Cantatas without bankrupting myself (ie.  Koopman or Leonhardt are
a No-Go).  I picked up a disk of Cantatas with Karl Richter conducting last
week and enjoyed it immensely.  My ears tell me that this is definitely NOT
a HIP performance is this correct?

Steve M. (Northern Virginia)