From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:24:48 -0500
Hello All,
We had our monthly meeting of the Midwestern Beekeepers last night. We took
delivery of several new books for our library. I had been thinking of
ordering the new Dadant book *Mites of the Honey Bee* edited by Thomas C.
Webster & Keith S. Delaplane. I usually like to at least thumb through a
book before buying but I had been ready to add the book to my next Dadant
order. Last night I checked the book out of the club library. All bee clubs
should order a copy for their library! The books authors are many of the
best beekeeping minds today. I cheated and went directly to the CHAPTER on
*Resistance to Varroa mites to Acricides*. Needless to say I couldn't put
the book down. For me the information is not new but for a uninformed
beekeeper the book will help you understand resistance. Norberto Milani
(Italy) writes the chapter. A couple highlights are the year Coumaphos
resitant mites are documented in Italy and putting in print a statment I
have had huge disagreements with my fellow beekeepers  over.
"There is no reason to believe that the varroa mite cannot develop
resistance against acarcides of simple origin or simple molecules like
formic acid"  (Milani 2001). Milani goes on to explain why varroa will
eventually develop resistance to formic acid.
I usually don't recommend a book until I have read the whole book but am
doing so on this book after only reading one chapter and thumbing through
the book.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri
Ps heading to the bee yards with burning eyes from staying up reading late.