From:
Chris Hiemstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:15:39 EST
Hello everyone:

My bees do not seem to easily draw out the plastic uncoated pierco frames.
I like the plastic frames because they are durable but enjoy frames with wax
foundation because the bees draw them out quicker.  I wish I could have the
best of both worlds.    Could I encourage the bees to draw out the cells
quicker by dipping the frames completely in beeswax and leaving a thick layer
on them.

I do not wish to buy the pre coated plastic frames because of the chance that
the wax on the frame might have chemicals in it.  We have been purchasing
uncoated frames for the past 3 years, so we have consistant experience with
bridge comb.  I have heard reports that the thin layer of wax on the
pre-coated pierco frames does not make enough difference and justify the
cost.  Perhaps a thick layer would do the trick?  Does any one have
experience in this area?

Chris Hiemstra
Clovermead Apiaries
Aylmer, Ontario, Canada