From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 12:38:41 -0600
John Smyth wrote:

>As a new-comer to Vivaldi and Telemann, I've acquainted myself through the
>artistry of Manze, (Manchester Sonatas, Concert Music for a Polish King);
>McGeegan and See, (The Flute Concerti); and Pickett, (Telemann's Water
>Music).  I find this music extremely gratifying--colorful, quircky, daring,
>and wistful by turns; These CDs will come off the shelf often.

If I may be so bold as to offer my additional performer suggestions to
you...

For Telemann, I recommend also the works performed by Goebel/MAK
(Tafelmusik, the wind concertos, Watermusik) found on the Archiv label.
Il Giardino Armonico (Teldec) perform Vivaldi with all sorts of gusto; I
recommend their "Four Seasons" (OOP?) and my recently acquired set of
mandolin and lute concerti.  Definitely worth the money.

Mark K. Ehlert