From:
Steven Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:38:22 EST
[log in to unmask] writes:

>If you are mainly interested in the 2nd and 3rd concertos, I would
>definitely reccomend the two concertos CD. I also have Ashkenazy
>with Previn, but only the 2nd and the Rhapsody.  I would second the
>recommendation for Van Cliburn on the 2nd, but on the 3rd, the best version
>I've ever heard is Martha Argerich on a CD with the Tchaikovsky 1st PC.

My favorite Rach 3rd is rarely mentioned for some reason.  I am referring
to Byron Janis with Charles Munch conducting.  My CD is coupled with a
fine Janis/Reiner recording of the 1st and is part of RCA's Living Stereo
series.

I have heard the Previn/Ashkenazy and it is also pretty good but not in
the same league as Munch/Janis.  I would be curious to hear what Naxos
has to offer.  IIRC they have a cycle with the same pianist who has done
some wonderful Prokofiev Sonatas but whose name escapes me.

Steve M.