From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:23:07 -0600
Bear in mind that Bach is one of the most complex (if not THE most complex)
of all baroque composers and may not always be the most accessible to a
beginner--I do remember that he was often opaque to me when I started out.
Vivaldi, Handel, and Scarlatti (don't forget by any means the early Walter
Carlos "Switched-On" albums) can often be every bit as enjoyable without
seeming so overwhelming.  Another good idea when dealing with beginners is
not to scare them away by any fine-tuned carrying on about what is or isn't
a masterpiece, especially since many non-masterpieces contain so many fine
moments for us all.

Aaron J. Rabushka
now listening ecstatically to Bach's often rapturous (even though it isn't
my religion) Cantata #147