From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:33:06 +1100
The other day I had a rare opportunity to spend time in a CD store
with some unusual material and pounced on a Musica Sveciae CD of
Peterson-Berger's 3rd Symphony, Romance for Violin and Orchestra, and
Gullebarn's Lullabies, a cycle for mezzo and orchestra.  I wasn't really
sure what to expect:  Peterson-Berger is one of those composers I've read
about, including on the list, but have heard only snippets of his music.
I listened to the symphony first and found it immediately attractive, but
the real find was Gullebarn's Lullabies, which is sung by Anne Sofie von
Otter.  I've loved the BIS CD of Sibelius songs with orchestra for years,
but this cycle is, IMHO, at least their equal.  I'm now anxious to lay my
hands on some more of this apparently highly interesting composer.  Any
suggestions?

Richard Pennycuick