From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:46:00 -0400
I appreciate the account Roger Hecht posted from the Juilliard student
who performed for the WTC rescue workers.  What a fine thing to do.
It reminded of an anecdote that Arnold Steinhardt related in his book
"Indivisible by Four" (Steinhardt is first fiddle in the Guaneri String
Quartet).  At some point- I forget whether it was before, after, or during
his years in conservatory, Steinhardt was called to serve in the US Army
(I vaguely recall it was before).  In any case, shortly after he reported
for duty somewhere, his violin was sent to him.  His sergeant received the
package, and when he gave it to the lad, he put his feet up on his desk and
instructed the young recruit to play.  Steinhardt had not practiced for
weeks, so he was not at his best, but he did what he could, after which the
sarge said, "You sure can play that thing, Steinhardt." Steinhardt claimed
he never received greater musical praise.

Larry