From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:07:51 -0400
Alkan lived from 1813-1888.  I believe he is best known for his Grande
Sonata pour Piano Op.  33, subtitled "The Four Ages of Life." Depending on
one's perspective this is either an unwieldy overly Romantic piece, or a
virtuoso challenge and forerunner to Liszt's b flat Sonata.

I subscribe to the latter view.  It was one of those pieces that really
made me sit up and pay attention on first hearing.  My disc is by Pierre
Reach and is on Koch 920362.  If I am not mistaken, Marc Andre hamelin has
also recorded it; it is definitely his kind of piece.

Try it. I think you will like it!

Ed