From:
Stuart Sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 22:51:43 +1200
  Vanhal's Missa Pastoralis in G Major, Missa Solemnis in Cmajor
  Soloists:Mary-Enid Haines(sop) Nina Scott Stoddart(alto),Colin
  Ainsworth (tenor), Steven Pitkanen(Bass) with Tower Voices New Zealand
  and the Arcadia ensemble conducted by Uwe Grodd

Well, this in my opinion is the find of the year.  Before this came out I
had never heard of vanhal.  In fact today I have also bought disc 1 of his
symphonies on Naxos.

However, the choral work in this recording is stunning.  I really enjoyed
it.  It was recorded in one of our provincial cathedrals in Napier, New
Zealand.  I do not know of the soloists but what I really enjoyed was the
choral work.  The choir I thought was very good.  It seems that Vanhal was
a contemporary of Haydn`s.  He was also prolific writing Masses.  Well, I
can certainly reccomend this recording as one I have particularly enjoyed.
There is some slight patriotic bias here(:

But nonetheless I do suggest that you try and listen to this if you get a
chance.  Regards

Stuart Sinclair