From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:01:11 EDT
Bernard Chasan writes:

>It ispossible to speculate (nothing more) that music has its roots in speech,
>and hence in language, but as it evolved it did not keep the grammar.
>Our brains presumably did not evolve to make music, tell stories, paint
>paintings, or do mathematics, but these things get done, fulfilling some
>deep human need.

It's at least as likely that music preceded speech as a mode human
communication.  It strikes me as a more basic, if less focused, system.
Still, it does contain principles of organization that could well have
evolved into the complex grammar that organizes human language, everything
from morphology, through orthoepy, orthography,semantics, etymology and
composition--yes, composition.

Denis Fodor