From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 00:58:29 -0400
Barry Murray writes:

>I would like to broaden my musical experience by exploring some operas
>of the baroque period.  I'm wondering if anyone can offer some suggestions
>as to where I might start?

 From my view, the best opera music of the baroque period comes from
Handel.  I suggest "Flavio" on Harmonia Mundi and "Ottone" on Hyperion
or Harmonia Mundi.  These are high-priced recordings.  You might want to
consider single discs of Handel arias from operas; you'll miss the plot
etc., but I'm not convinced that's much of a loss.  There's a magical disc
of Handel Heroic Arias from James Bowman and Robert King on Hyperion which
is desert island material.  Also, Harmonia Mundi a few years ago released
about four or five single discs devoted to Handel opera arias; I'm not sure
they are still available singly but they are still sold as a set.

Don Satz