From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 04:51:40 -0800
I have never heard this recording, but can strongly recommend the
1953 live Bayreuth recording on Teldec.  It's on sale at a UK site
www.cdselections.com for 19.95 for 4 CDs.  The cast is stunning (Maria
Steber as Elsa, Astrid Varnay as a manevolent Ortrud, Udhe as a weak willed
Telemund and Windgassen as Lohengrin.  Keilberth conducts with fervour, for
example the coda of Act II is tremendously exciting.  The caveat is the
sound as the perspectives shift and, I am told, the transfer is not all it
could be.  I wonder if an enterprising record company (Testament?) could
lease the rights and sort these problems out.

It is easily my favourite recording of this work.

All the best,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK