From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 08:10:06 -0600
Kevin Sutton:

>Ars Nova, conducted by Bo Holten is a very fine group indeed, but I simply
>do not understand the pedestal upon which the world or choral music places
>the Tallis Scholars.  They certainly deserve credit for spreading the
>gospel of some fine and sadly neglected choral music, but the incessant
>straight (jacket) tone of their women and the insufferably emotionless
>renditions they present of very very emotional music is beneath criticism.
>It's a false ideal that is painful to listen to.

We're obviously hearing two different groups.  The "emotionless" part,
while I don't see its point (that is, the performances stir emotions in
*me*), at least I've heard before.  What comes out of left field is the
complaint about tone.  Most people complaining about the Tallis Scholars'
tone say it's too beautiful.  That, at least, corresponds to something I've
heard.  As to why they're placed on a pedestal by choral people:  flawless
intonation, a beautiful tone, clarity in all the parts, stamina in long,
challenging works.

And "beneath criticism"?  Well, we've both taken the trouble to criticise,
after all.

Steve Schwartz