From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:40:51 -0600
David Rothstein:

>I have on tape Horovitz, live with Ormandy NYPO.  Not everybody's "Cup
>of tee" regarding interpretation, however the performance is incredible
>I think even bordering on the insane.  Any opinions on Wild/Horenstein???

Yeah.  Great.  It, rather than the Ashkenazy/Previn, is my preferred
complete set.  On the other hand, as has been pointed out, individual
performances of each concerto - particularly the third and the second -
outstrip the integral sets I know about.  Janis/Reiner has already been
mentioned for the Third; I'd add Horowitz/Ormandy with the Philly and
Rachmaninoff himself, among others.  My favorite recording of the Second
is Richter/Sanderling, if you can find it.

Steve Schwartz