From:
Richard Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:55:59 -0000
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]> said:

>When again they could not decide, they awarded two first prizes!  Has such
>a thing ever occured elsewhere in high level musical competition?

Yes, I don't know which year it was, but John Ogden and Vladimir Ashekenazy
each received a First Prize at the same Tchaikovsky competition.  In
announcing it, Emil Gilels went to pains to explain that they were not
sharing a prize, that the jury awarded two First Prizes.

Poor John Ogden.  Genius mistuned can wreak the most grievous suffering on
its host.

Richard, who invites you to visit his classical music site at
http://opuspocus.ca