From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:42:49 -0500
Todd McComb writes:

>Living in a cultural backwater such as the United States makes it
>increasingly difficult to hear interesting recordings at all.

It may be a cultural backwater, but it's all I know.  Beyond that, the U.S.
does not prohibit foreign-based record companies from distributing their
recordings here; those are company decisions and they often don't appear
reasonable.

A good recent example involves the young soprano Magdalena Kozena who
records for Archiv/DG.  Her disc of Bach arias has not been distributed
in the U.S., but her most recent disc, Handel Italian Arias, will be
distributed here.  Does this make any sense? It just seems arbitrary.

Well, it's time for me to get back to WWF wrestling - this is what America
is all about.

Don Satz