From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 00:51:08 -0400
Going through the Berkshire catalogue, I stumbled upon a Decca CD of
Gershwin's "*Rhapsody in Blue* (arranged for two pianos and orchestra by
the Labeques)" and some other works by him.  I missed the "and orchestra"
while I was reading and ordered the disc expecting a piano arrangement
of the work (which is how I believe Gershwin first wrote it).  I was then
disappointed to discover that this was an orchestral version, complete w/
clarinet glissando at the opening, except w/ two pianos instead of one.
I always enjoy a Gershwin fix so I enjoyed this performance (w/ Chailly
conducting the Cleveland) but I wondered, "why two pianos?" Does anyone
know whether the piano part in this performance had been augmented to the
point where one pianist wouldn't have been able to play it or was the
single piano part simply divided among the two sisters?

Walter Meyer