From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 08:42:13 +0100
Deryk Barker [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>Stirling Newberry ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>>A fine reviewer gives both these objective details of the performance,
>>and combines them with judgement.  That Barenboim follows the traditional
>>tempi and performance practice of Beethoven is an objective observation,
>
>Really? We know that much about how Beethoven performed his own music do
>we?

We have eyewithnesses.  And eyewithnesses general observations from the
time of early recording are the same as we have on early recordings, what
I said in some recent posts which nobody seemed to take interest in.  So
if some persons of equal musical dignity from Beethovens time spoke, isn't
that a good indication?

Mats Norrman, who right now is listening to a Parsifal Suite recorded 1913