From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 15:26:34 GMT
Bernard Chasan writes:

>It is also true that recorded music makes available a huge repertory
>not otherwise available to the most dedicated concertgoer.

The above comment is a very strong factor for the value that recorded
music offers.  Most folks do not live in highly populated urban cities
where multiple concert performances are a daily regimen.  Here in
Albuquerque, the pickings are rather slim and/or very expensive.  For the
cost of a ticket to a Santa Fe Opera performance, one can buy a 3-cd full
price opera set which will last indefinitely.

Of course, there are many list members who have strongly indicated their
preference for live performances over recorded ones.  Ms. Rogers, however,
is the only list member I recall who has declared recorded performances as
"dead meat".  I am curious as to how she arrives at such a negative view of
the recorded medium.  I see recordings as an option for listeners; neither
its intent nor its impact is harmful.

Don Satz