Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 00:40:38 +0100
From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Richard Yardumian, born and died in Philadelphia (1917-85), is an unusual
>composer for several reasons.  In many ways, he remained a local boy.
>The bulk of recorded performances of his work comes from Philadelphia
>musicians.  With very few connections to New York, San Francisco, or Los
>Angeles .

Loved the review, which I dug up from the archieve after reading old
discussions about "Das Lied von der Erde".  I think Mr. Schwartz menation
something here that is important to be aware of, and that I have been
thinking of many times, as I spend my money exploring, seeking for new
interesting composers (Marco Polo is a very good labal for this, need to
mention), rather than buying more than a few recordings of tha same works
from the standard repertoire.  I listened the other day to Rangstroems (one
of my favourite composers) 1st symphony (coupled with Spring Hymn and
Dithyramb) with Norrkoeping SO/Jurowskij and I love the performance and
even more the work.  Still this recordings has slight flaws yet very good:
there is a trumpet coming in too quick in a fanfare in the recapitulation
in "Dithyramb", having to make a slight reduction of tempo to end it right,
and a few other things that stick out, but you can't get everything, and
thats the issue here.  If Steve considers Yardumian, he cannot get
everything here either, and that he wrote - I quote it again:  "The bulk
of recorded performances of his work comes from Philadelphia musicians.
"...and not from the Royal Philharmonic, or even Philhadelphia Symphony
orchestra I would guess.  But finally to the point; what if? What if Praha
Philharmonic has as much funds as Metropolitan Opera? What if Rangstroem
was played by the Royal Philharmonic, uptoken by say Dohnannyi? I will be
bold enough to suggest that if all music was played on same high standard
as the "best" recordings, that Gouldings ranklist of composers would be a
bit different, and many dreams would be filled, sure.  But this is
dangerous explosive thoughts..  To comment specifically on Yardumian; I
have only heard one CD with piano music.  I found it 'interesting', but
not more.  Then I do know it is a forbidden thought, but to think so it
tilliating and I think also good practice somehow for ones imaginative
musicality; what about if this unknown (for that is what it is) music,
was played by a imaginative, secure and heartfelt mind, like say Alfred
Brendel? Well, should not think that way, but say what you want about it,
but the music has space in it...

>The sound is better than I expected - fine, in fact.  My one complaint
>is that we get only a shameful 38 minutes of music on the CD. This raises
>an unnecessary barrier to potential buyers.  If I didn't already know
>Yardumian's music, I'd certainly think twice.

Perhaps it is for collectors only?:-)

Mats Norrman