Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:51:29 -0400
From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Janos Gereben wrote:

>Gielen's "Resurrection" Symphony is fascinating. ...
>
>(The double-CD is divided strangely between a 32-minute first
>disc and a 75-minute second one.)

I assume that the break occurs between two movements of the Mahler symphony
(there are also works by Kurtag and Schoenberg on this recording) - which
ones would it be? The breaks that make *musical* sense would be between 1
and 2 (where Mahler asks for a five minute pause) or 3 and 4 (where, IIRC,
in correspondence to an early M2 conductor Mahler endorsed the inclusion a
pause).  Due to the timings, it would seem to occur between 1/2 (if one of
the other pieces is presented first) or 2/3 (which makes no sense).

I seem to recall that Lorin Maazel's Mahler 2nd had a break between the
first and second movements, which would mean that disc 1 was only around
23 minutes in length.

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com